The Intersex Justice Project (IJP) seeks the end of medically invasive and unnecessary surgeries in the United States that target intersex children and adolescents by empowering intersex people of color to advance that change. IJP is dedicated to the inalienable rights of intersex people of color in the United States, however we are committed to forming alliances and coalitions with other intersex people of color both nationally and globally.
Ultimately, we want to exist freely in our communities without scrutiny from the medical establishment. We demand that we be allowed to exist freely in the bodies we were born with. We also desire a world where future intersex children are free from medical harm and are in partnership with their parents and doctors to decide the course of their medical treatment.
We recognize that our mission to end medically invasive and unnecessary surgeries on intersex infants and children is not the end point to liberation; we must coalesce with other groups across movements that include but are not limited to: reproductive justice, prison abolition, black liberation, indigenous people’s rights and sovereignty, latinx liberation, and other groups working toward freedom from oppression. We have outlined the following tactics that will help us achieve that end:
1. Working with other intersex organizations in the United States and globally who are committed to ending intersex genital surgeries.
2. Educating the people about intersex human right violations via empowering intersex people of color as leaders in this movement.
3. Clearly articulating our demands, in coalition with other groups, to protect the bodily sovereignty of intersex children and young adults.
4. Targeting hospitals that are performing these surgeries through direct action organizing with intersex groups and allies.
5. Developing media that is aligned with our interest as intersex people of color that represents our voices, our passions and our goals.